Saturday, December 19, 2009

What is the best color-protecting shampoo?

I have my hair colored with a demi-permanent color, which lasts about 6 weeks. I want to find the best color-protecting shampoo and conditioner to make the color stay vibrant and last as long as possible. Suggestions?What is the best color-protecting shampoo?
Sulfates in shampoo are what strip out color. You want a color shampoo that doesn't have sulfates (ie...sodium laurelsulfate, tea laurelsulfate,) It is almost IMPOSSiBLE to find shampoos that don't contain those ingredients, but one that doesn't is Back to Basics, their color protect shampoo doesn't have sulfates. It works well. Another one that doesn't is by Scruples and is called Blazings Shampoo and Conditioner. However, word of warning....the Blazings poo smells heavenly, but it doesn't lather well. Hence, that is why they use sulfates in shampoos! That is the lathering agent.





One more I've just sampled and REALLY liked is called HALO. The whole line is color protective. (Nicole Kidman uses this brand from what I've been told) Of course, all of the products I've mentioned you have to get at a salon. You might want to call around to a few to see if they would carry one of them.





IF you can't find any of the above mentioned, Paul MItchell has a good color protect line, Hempz has a good one too.





I almost forgot...don't wash your hair in hot water. Use cool water. The hot water will open up the cuticle layer on your hair and you'll be washing color right down the drain. The cool/cold water will keep the cuticle closed and will help tremendously with fading. Also, if you're out in the sun wear something on your head. Sun is horrid on haircolor, especially if you go swimming in a chlorinated pool and lay out in the sun afterwards. BIG no-no!What is the best color-protecting shampoo?
I am currently in love with John Frieda Sheer Blonde. Although it is formulated for blonde hair, John Frieda also has a red and brunette version, which I have never tried. I do know that the Sheer Blonde works very well in keeping my hair from turning dull, brassy, etc. I am assuming the other two work just as well.
isoplus
Redken color therapy or Aveda color conserve are both top notch.

No comments:

Post a Comment